It is a two-room, vaulted chapel, known as Panagia (Virgin Mary) Kastriani, built among the archaeological remains in Kastri, the acropolis of ancient Arkesini, in Kato Meria of Amorgos. Miliarakis evinces the presence of the church, when he toured the island in 1883. Of particular interest is the description of Bent, who toured Amorgos shortly after Miliarakis, at the end of the 19th century. He mentions traces of use of the acropolis during the medieval period, while he also evinces the presence of numerous small stone houses, which were used for the accommodation of the believers who came during the celebrations of the chapel, according to the information of priest Demetrios who guides Bent to the island. The small church celebrates every year on September 8. During the celebration, the faithful honor Panagia (Virgin Mary) by organizing meals with traditional dishes.
Means of access:
TRADITIONAL PATH: "Itonia" Route
Lefkes (Agia Thekla) – Agioi Saranda – Kamari – Kastri (ancient Arkesini) – Vroutsi – Rachoula – Arkesini (Tower of Agia Triada)
After contacting the person in charge of the Holy Church of Panagia.